Friday 16 May 2008

Just Four Minutes to save the world...

Just four minutes to save the world…

So a new report has been published indicating a great rise in the number of young girls becoming involved in crime – particularly violent crimes such as fighting. Theories are thrown about as to the possible reasons behind this; a change in the recording of crime, increased reporting of crime from fear of the ‘hoodie invasion’ and also simply a greater number of females.

Not just the young 'uns!

All of these reasons are plausible; they are probably all factors to greater and lesser extents – but perhaps another one that ought to feature is that we have forgotten our identity.

I am all for equal rights; for women to be treated equally as men, for people to be treated regardless of the colour of their skin, sexuality or religion. BUT let me say now – FEMINISM HAS FAILED. Yes, in order to gain ‘equality’ women have had to make themselves more like men.

MySpace Codes

Remembering my experiences at 6th form – I loved being involved in drama, both performing myself & working behind the scenes in various roles such as stage manager, lighting, costume etc. What I said at the time, and still hold to, is that I had to (in order to be given any kind of credence or respect) be as good as the guys and better… it was hard but through being myself I eventually gained respect for doing the job that I set out to do.

‘Ladette’ culture has been gaining momentum over the last few years. I am not innocent on this one; on a night out I have been just as loud, drunk, and aggressive as any. Yet this is something that I have come to reconsider.

MySpace Codes

Sara Cox became an almost ‘poster girl’ for ladette culture…

I believe that we were MADE different; equal yet different. Right at the start of the Bible, there’s a wonderful story of the creation of the world – I’m not here to get into the argument as to how historical or metaphorical it may or may not be. But, reading how Aslan created Narnia to my little daughter reminded me the other day… it reminded me of how beautiful the world was, is… I get bogged down in how bad it is, lately its been hard to see the light – but I’m trying. The world has become this way because of choice, the most wonderful gift ever given, has been abused… wilfully, unconsciously, accidentally.

Maybe we just need to turn back and recognise the beauty of our differences.

Perhaps we women need to embrace femininity and show ourselves to be steel magnolias rather than wannabe men?

MySpace Codes
Oil on canvas by Fernando Botero

Genesis 1.27 - So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

No comments: